Notice: place for the Sunday’s reception, Nov. 10, 3-5 PM, which was originally announced to be at the Ambassador Hotel, is now moved to the Seaside restaurant at the Sun Yat-sen University (中山 大學海景餐廰). People can take a taxi to go there for about $4.
WUWNet’13 will take place at the International Conference Hall on the 11th floor of the library building at the National Sun Yat-sen University. Buses will be provided to pick up and return the attendees from and to the hotels. In case you miss the bus, take a taxi (~$4 and 10 min) to 中山大學圖書館.
For individuals, make your reservations by filling the reservation form and fax it to the hotel. Scan and send a copy to email@example.com. For groups, send your reservation requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get your cash at the airport or use ATM ($1 ≈ 30 NTD); most transactions are in cash except at hotels, HSR, major restaurants and shops, where you can use credit cards.
English signs are everywhere; many speak English in Taiwan.
For more information, please refer to the following documents:
- Travel guideline in Taiwan
- Hotel reservation forms: Fullon Hotel Kaohsiung, Grand Hi-Lai Hotel, Hotel Kingdom, Ambassador Hotel, and Howard Plaza Hotel
- Visa application form for Chinese citizens
Visa requirements to visit Taiwan and attend the WUWNET’13
- If you are a citizen of US/Canada/Japan/Italy/the Netherlands and many other countries, there is no need to apply visas to visit Taiwan for 30 days.
- If you are a Chinese mainland citizen (i.e. citizens of People’s Republic of China) and are currently residing in the mainland, you need to contact your local offices for visiting Taiwan. Please contact Professor T.C. Yang at email@example.com if you need related documents.
- If you are a Chinese mainland citizen oversea, you need to fill out the
visa application form.
You will need send 1) the filled visa application form, 2) a scanned copy of ID photo, 3) passport front page, 4) proof of employment (e.g., employment ID card) to Professor T.C. Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further instructions will be given after the application documents are received.
It is a lengthy process for Chinese citizens to get Taiwan visas. Please start your application as soon as possible.
Social Activities and Local Attractions
- On Nov.10, registration desk will be open and we will have a reception party from 3 - 5 PM at the Seaside restaurant at the Sun Yat-sen University (中山大學圖書館). Afterward, interested people can tour the Chichin island, visit the old fort and Cihou Lighthouse. One can have dinner and enjoy the local sea food there. It is a very crowded place. After that, people with energy can visit the Taiwan characteristic night market.
- On Nov. 11 we have a beach party/social hour from 6-7 PM and dinner from 7 PM Ė 8PM
- On Nov. 12, we will have the conference banquet from 6.30 PM to 8 PM
- On Nov. 13, we will take the bus to the Buddha Memorial Center and enjoy the well-prepared reputable vegetarian food and then tour the museum.
- On Dec. 14, if enough people are interested, we can hire a bus to tour the Kenting National Park at the southern tip of Taiwan with a fee. Details will be provided on the website in the near future as well as other attractions of Taiwan.
Places near Kaohsiung Area
- Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts
Directions: Take Taxi.
- The Pier-2 Art Center
Directions: Within walking distance from NSYSU
- Chichin Island
Directions: Go to Gushan Ferry Station and take the ferry to the island, which takes just a few minutes.
- Cihou Lighthouse
Directions: Go to Gushan Ferry Station and take the ferry to the island, which takes just a few minutes. The light house is within walking distance from the Ferry station.
Attractions outside Kaohsiung
- Kenting National Park
Direction: Buses travel frequently from Kaohsiung to Kenting. Take the line 88 from the Kaohsiung bus terminal (don't get confused with city buses). The price for a ticket is roughly 350NT$. The transit time from Kaohsiung to Kenting is approximately 2.5 hours, depending upon the general traffic situation.
- Accommodation suggestion (to name a few): Kenting Caesar Park Hotel, Kenting Youth Activity Center and Fullon Hotel Kending.
- More information about Kenting is available at TripAdvisor
- National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium
- Sun Moon Lake
Directions: Please visit the web site listed above for more travel and accommodation options. Itís around 200 km away from Kaohsiung city.
- Alishan national scenic area
Directions: Please visit the web site listed above for more travel and accommodation options. Itís around 170 km away from Kaohsiung city.
- National Palace Museum
- Taroko Gorge
Direction and accommodation suggestion can be found at WikiTravel